Monday, May 16, 2011

Why today is good!

First lets just lawl at how even my messes from unpacking are colorful
all my colors make me feel so blessed :D

Even after driving 2 hours to haul 7 of these boxes (as well as other crap) down hilda's stairs to the car and driving 2 hours back (on little sleep too) I still have had this inspiration bug! I stopped at Michaels to buy white acrylic paint for my shoe painting project, and by george there was a SALE! I ended up staying for about a half hour carefully choosing the least expensive half off beads. At the end of the trip I only spent $17.97 (although i'm sure my parents would rather me not spend anything... don't tell them!) and here are the beads I got:

Can't wait!


And even after unpacking half of my stuff (for about an hour) I still had enough artistic energy to cut up my old jewelry that I made in like 8th grade to recycle into new works of art!


featuring, wood beads, paper beads, glass beads and plastic heart beads

For my fellow stingy beginner crafters, spending money is laame! But if you are in a slump and do decide to buy beads for inspiration here are some pro tips from yours truly

Sarah's Bead-buying pro-tips

  • If you are getting beads for inspiration, don't buy them at specialty bead stores because they charge a lot
  • DO buy beads at specialty bead stores if the person imports them and the are genuinely unique looking and if you have a specific idea of how to use them (then give the piece as a gift or sell it costing more) 
  • don't get beads just because they look pretty, because sometimes they are plastic or have some type of coating or paint on them that usually wears off
  • swarovski chrystal beads are beautiful, but pricey, there are glass beads that are cut similar and cost less
  • don't be afraid to buy beads online (because shipping should be free since they are so lightweight)
  • there are a bajillion types of materials to make beautiful beads, so when you're buying them get familiar with which ones are worth spending on and which ones aren't
    • ie: glass beads are pretty common, so no use spending a lot on them, whereas dicrhoic beads are less common and sooooooooooo pretty
Thats all I can think of for now... I'm getting so tired, I think I need to make exercise more common in my life and get tougher... Thanks for reading, I'll post pictures of my shoe progress tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment